From Lima we flew to Guayaquil, Ecuador a bustling commercial port. The modern cosmopolitan port is humid, and warm, and a growing destination for travelers. Transported by taxi to the new bus station which operates in conjunction with a new, large shopping mall. While this is normally an appreciated convenience, a porter was required to assist us in negotiating our luggage safely through the multi-level mall and the crowds of shoppers. Of course we had more luggage than normal vacationers would have, and faced the logistical challenges of taxi transfers, and buses to our destination of Bahia de Caraquez.
Additional information and photos on Bahia Caraquez may be obtained at:
Around Bahía, excursions can be done in the estuary of the Río Chone to the following islands:
- Isla Corazón.- featuring a mangrove environment and estuary for birds and marine life. The bird colonies located at the end of the island but may be seen only by boat.
- Isla Fragatas.- 15 minutes by boat from Bahía with a myriad of bird types. Between August and January a large colony of frigate birds can be seen very closely showing their inflated red sacks during the mating ritual season.
- Punta Bellaca, a beautiful beach on the way to Chirije close to the Cerro de las Orquídeas hill.
- The archaeological site of Chirije, surrounded by tropical forest and nice beaches with boutique resort accomodation is 45 minutes south of Bahía. Chirije used to be a seaport of the Bahía Culture (500 BC-500 AD). This is a good place to relax, as well as for other activities in the area as birdwatching and horse riding.
- Saiananda Located 5 km from Bahía, is a very interesting park. It has a very unusual combination of native and domestic animals and birds such as: Chuchuchos, sloths, ostriches, macaws, deer, geese, rabbits, peacocks, donkeys, and cows. The park also has a cactus collection and a bonsai garden.
- Canoa is another attractive beach especially for hanggliders.
- The Río Muchacho organic farm located in a river setting 10 km north of Canoa, offers horse riding trips on the farm, making chocolate, and rustic accommodation.
- Cerra Seco – dry forest ecology
- Casa Ceibo a new exclusive resort hotel
- Miradora Cross